Building a bathroom vanity

It all started when I woke up one morning wondering how hard it would be to build a replacement for my otherwise useless bathroom vanity. Wound up re-modeling the entire bathroom and replacing every water line in the house, but I think it’s best to save that story for another post, and talk instead about the vanity.

Since the big pile of wood in the shop had a bunch of cherry in it, I decided that would be a good choice for this project. And, since this thing would be sitting in a corner, there seemed to be no need in building a traditional cabinet when a sturdy framework would do:

myvanity1

As you can see, it’s nothing fancy, but it’s more than strong enough to do the job.

Strips of cherry were glued together to make the top, and a row of screws added along the edge to give it a bit of an industrial look:

myvanity2

After making a couple doors, and a trim panel for the end, the whole thing was given a few coats of polyurethane and put in its permanent home:

myvanity3

Shortly after seeing this, a friend decided she wanted one. Decided to get a bit fancy for this one and build it using oak and walnut. Since she liked the look of the screws around the top, those were added as well:

vanity2

Here’s a quick look at it after it was installed at her place:

vanityfinal

Turned out there was one more vanity on the list, but this one had to be big enough to hold two sinks. It also seemed like a good time to get even more creative:

dad'svanity1

Went with cherry again for the frame, but chose maple for the top, which measures 2 feet by six feet by 1 1/2 inches thick. And probably weighs more than I do. The floor of this one is oak, and had to be custom-fit around the plumbing.

dad'svanity2

Decided to use walnut, and what I believe is chestnut for the doors to make this truly one-of-a-kind. I should note here that the area to the left in this picture used to have one of those garden tubs in it, which was removed (since it was never used) to make a small sitting area and provide room for this nice oak towel cabinet:

towelcabinet2

Nothing too complicated with this except for the bottom, where we went with a drawer that we made to match the three sets of doors above it.

 

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Wood projects

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

Archives

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 6 other followers

%d bloggers like this: